Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunday Six Pack....


Any day is good for a six pack!

Here's the Saturday/Sunday Six Pack on Monday. I suck at life, what can I say...but these tunes are the tits.

1. Blue Mountain -- When You're Not Mine from Tales of a Traveler :: So I just discovered these guys and I am kicking myself for not finding them earlier. They are pretty much everything I look for in a band these days: rootsy rock w/country splashed in, catchy tunes with some cool lyrics, great harmonies. Luckily for me they are regrouping for a little summer tour; unlucky for me, they ain't comin' 'round.
[Buy Blue Mountain here]

2. John Doe w/Neko Case -- Highway 5 from Forever Hasn't Happened Yet :: The great thing about diving into "alt-country" is that it combined country and punk. Uncle Tupelo wasn't the only ones doing it or even the first. John Doe, and his band X, were heavy punk rockers back in 1980's Los Angeles. They also dabbled in country and with his most recent solo album, he does a little more, this time with Neko helping out. By the way, John Doe is releasing a new solo album tomorrow and the first single sounds great. More on that later this week!
[Buy John Doe here]

3. Uncle Tupelo -- Gun from Still Feel Gone :: So I'm catching Wilco on Thursday at the Aronoff here in Cincinnati and although I know I'll enjoy it, I can't help but wish more of the songs Tweedy will deliver on Thursday sounded more like this one rather than Sky Blue Sky. [Buy UT here]

4. Porter Wagoner -- Hotwired from Wagonmaster :: Wow, this girl is hotwirin' the cars, the cows, Porter's ole heart. As I wrote last week, this is a great country album.
[Buy Porter Wagoner here]

5. Sheryl Crow & Emmylou Harris -- Juanita from Return of the Grievous Angel :: Two great voices doing Gram Parsons. Beautiful!
[Buy Return of the Grievous Angel here]

6. The Band w/ Emmylou Harris -- Evangeline from The Last Waltz :: I'm on an Emmylou Harris kick. This is actually my all time karoake wish, but alas, I can't ever picture a karoake bar having it. That's too bad because I would nail this motherfucker!
[Buy The Band here, Emmylou here]

BK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Emmylou!