Saturday, June 16, 2007

A nice change of pace

Well, its been a little slow going this past week here at RadioKGB, but what can ya do? It happens. Don't have too much by way of an update, just figured I'd drop a couple songs on you by a group I've been listening to a lot recently.

Before I get to that though, I'd like to thank everyone for the emails we've been getting with music submissions. Some of them have been pretty good, but some definitely haven't (in my humble opinion). I fully plan on giving these submissions the attention they deserve, but all my non-KGB duties have been taking up a little too much of my time (damn you, work). So, keep an eye on that, as a i plan on leaving a couple of posts on some of these submissions that I've found myself favoring. Keep them coming, I promise I'll at least give them a listen.

Until then, however, let's talk about a band that's already out there. Thanks to a favorable Pitchfork review and its inclusion at eMusic, i was able to check out a band called The Clientele. I've listened to their newest album, God Save the Clientele, and I really, really like it. It could end up being in the running for my favorite album of 2007, but there's still a lot of year left.


Here's why....I've got so much music that sounds depressing. That's not necessarily a bad thing, its just a thing. I've always enjoyed depressing music. But every now and then, I'd like a change of pace. This album by The Clientele has given me that change. I can't really say much for their other albums (they've been around since 1999-ish) because this is the only album I've heard, but I'm sure I'll get around to them eventually. God Save the Clientele offers a nice change of pace from the doldrums of music that I can get myself stuck in. They have a very nice atmospheric pop sound to them that is helped by very crisp, light sounding guitars. They've utilized string arrangements in a couple of songs, but have come nowhere close to overdoing it. These are just a couple of reasons I've enjoyed this album ever since I picked it up, but I'll stop and let you listen for yourself. So, if you've been looking for something a little different, I'm officially recommending The Clientele's newest (you can get it here and here).

So, give these few a listen, and let me know what you think.

The Clientele - Here Comes the Phantom
The Clientele - The Queen of Seville
The Clientele - The Dance of the Hours

RR

No comments: