Thursday, May 31, 2007

Odds and Ends

Hello there, KGB-ites. Sorry for the lack of posts this week. Work's trying to keep me down again, and now I need reading glasses......Damn you, Grad school. I knew you'd get the best of me.

Fear not, though. A couple of new albums are expected in the coming weeks which are sure to keep our interests peaked for a good while. So, I figured I'd use a post to discuss some odds and ends (hence the title) i've been anticipating or thinking about recently.

The White Stripes: The countdown is now at 19 days until the Icky Thump CD comes out. Its currently available for pre-order, but I've always just preferred going to the damn store. But, to keep are curiosities at bay, they've released the video for the first single, Icky Thump. I posted a link a month or so ago to the single, but unfortunately it had to be removed, so for many of you, this may be the first time you've heard the song. The video is pretty crazy (typical Stripes). It feature Jack in a Mexican whorehouse getting robbed blind by a Mexican whore with one white eye. It also cuts back and forth to the Stripes playing their respective instruments, and I have to be honest, Meg is actually looking pretty hot playing the drums there. So, check out the video and let me know what you think.....



Smashing Pumpkins: Just over a month from now is the release of the first Smashing Pumpkins CD since I was a sophomore in college....a good 6 years ago or so. The album, entitled Zeitgeist, is now available for pre-order, or you can wait until July 10. However, the first single has been released. Its called Tarantula, and can be found on iTunes for $0.99. I bought it, and I love it. But I was kinda surprised that I loved it. The last Billy Corgan did that I loved was the aforementioned Machina album, over six years ago. Since then he's released a free Machina II over Napster (meh), an album with a new band, Zwan (also meh), and then quite possibly the most disappointing album of my lifetime, a solo jaunt entitled FutureEmbrace. So, after these past three releases, needless to say, I wasn't expecting much out of this one. But the song is actually good. It sounds like the Smashing Pumpkins....despite being comprised of only 50% of former pumpkins. So, check out the song, and report back with your findings. Especially if you grew up a Pumpkins fan....its a must-listen.

Calling all Aspiring Artists: I'm not quite sure what the scope of our readership is, necessarily, but if any of our readers are in a band, or make a habit of creating their own music, then this message is for you. If you are looking for an opportunity to find a media through which to present your music, then I would like to suggest RadioKGB as your outlet. If you're interested in having your music previewed, listened to, and presented to the masses (and I use that term in the loosest sense possible) then I'd like you to send us a sample mp3 (or mp3s) of your music. We'd be glad to take a listen, and if it doesn't suck, display it for the RadioKGB readership to enjoy. I realize we may not have quite the impact and some bigger blogs, but hey, you gotta start somewhere. So, i recommend, if you're interested, to send us an mp3 of your stuff to radio.kgb@gmail.com. I promise we'll give it a listen, and like I said....if it doesn't suck, I'd say you've got a decent chance of making it up on our blog. I'll also keep a link to the left of our blog, that'll constantly be there, to give you a chance to email. We're looking forward to hearing from you.


RR

No comments: