Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Not-So Midweek Shuffle

Shuffle's back, bitches. Time to open up the iTunes, spin the roulette wheel and see what we're listening to today. Here's hoping it finds my new Kelly Clarkson CD....

1. Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely: For some reason I've come to the realization that I've never posted about Radiohead. That would almost give you the indication that I don't care for them too much. Well, that couldn't be any further from the truth. If I was stranded on a non-Lost-esque island and could only have one bands CDs with me, it would be Radiohead's. This song ranks up there with Paranoid Android as one of my favorite songs of all-time. The string-arrangements are mesmerizing. Its easy to get lost in this song, so in that since, the song has the perfect title. And if you don't know what I mean, put your headphones on, turn the volume up, and just listen to this song. (buy the Kid A CD here).

2. Nick Drake - Which Will: Just did a thing on Nick in my last webcast. This is another song off the Pink Moon album (get it here). Its his plea for a girl to make up her mind. His voice is very soothing, and not nearly as melancholy as Kendall's impressions had led him to believe.

Editor's Note: So as not to tempt the iTunes shuffle god's, full disclosure is expected on my part. I am currently listening to Say Yes by Elliott Smith, but I believe I've already done a little ditty somewhere here on this glorious site, so I'll skip the write-up and we'll continue on. Thank you for your attention.

3. Jack Johnson - The News: This is off his first CD Brushfire Fairytales. (Want it? Yeah, I thought so. Try here.) Honestly not too much to say about this one. I ususally brush past this one. The only line I regularly hear is the one about "Why don't the newscasters cry when they read about people who die? At least they could be decent enough to put just a tear in their eye."

4. Wilco - Kicking Television (live): This is the live version off the 2CD live album (get it here) of the same name. It was recorded from a couple shows in Chicago. I love this freakin album. I had always loved Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but was sort of impartial to A Ghost is Born. This CD opened my eyes up to that album. I began to appreciate that album more. This song is off neither of those albums.....so, whatever.

5. Ben Harper - Please Bleed: Speaking of live albums, this song is off the 2CD Live from Mars. (You should give it a try.) I've always liked Ben Harper. He's got like a bajillion cds though. I'm not sure how many I have. This is my favorite though. Its composed of a heavy first CD, followed by a more acoustic based second cd. If you couldn't guess, this is off the second one. I really like the "Good lovers make great enemies" line. Sounds like something out of a Modest Mouse song. It also sounds like he could use a glass of water in this one, though.

I'm happier with where fate has taken us this fine Saturday morning. Time to do some work and think about drinking some beer. Gotta love some extended weekends. Have great Memorial Weekend everybody.

RR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also love Paranoid Android, but tend to forget about the greatness that is Radiohead. Funny, eh? Thanks for putting that thought in my head.