Monday, July 2, 2007

Where's the Love for Ryan Adams?

Well hey, Ryan Adams' new one, Easy Tiger, dropped last Tuesday and despite some of the buzz we contributed to on this site, none of us have mentioned it. I've had a week to digest it and it's hitting me much like the newest Wilco. There are some really great songs on here, including the first single Two, along with Everybody Knows, Tears of Gold, Pearls of A String; there are some duds as well (don't get me started on Off Broadway...yawner).

Anyway, this post isn't intended to review the album; I'm not any good at that. I was initially poking around on Youtube to catch the Letterman performance that I missed last week. The version of Two is posted below and is quite good. What really struck me is Ryan and his appearance. He looks so much better than this time two years ago. Check out the next clip of Let It Ride from Cold Roses, which was released in May 2005. It's good to see that he is apparently cleaned up as has been reported in the media. Both of these performances are sweet though, crack or no crack.

Ryan today:




Ryan two years ago:




BK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it possible that Ryan Adams has put out soooooo much material recently that he's gone and saturated the market with his own stuff?

For whatever reason I just wasn't terribly excited about this one coming out. That said, I haven't given anything on it a listen yet, so I'm by no means critisizing it. But after the Cold Roses (which is actually my second favorite thing Adams has ever done behind Heartbreaker), 29, Jacksonville City Nights trifecta in 2005 (i think) i just haven't found myself craving his music as much anymore.

Or I could probably just as easily go back and listen to his old stuff and be hooked once again. Who knows?