Ladies and Gentleman.....Your 2006 World Champs --------->
Spring Training games started yesterday and Fantasy Baseball drafts are in full swingSo, in honor of the optimism of a brand new season that's upon us, I've decided to give you my top songs that make me think of baseball. Here they are, in no particular order:
1. The Standells - Dirty Water: Red Sox Nation classic. This is played after every home win in Fenway Park.
2. Belle and Sebastian - Piazza, New York Catcher: Does everything from quoting his batting average (.318) to questioning his sexuality. Though outdated, the title sounds better than "Piazza, Oakland Designated Hitter".
<---------No longer New York's catcher
3. Bob Dylan - Catfish: So, not only did Catfish Hunter have a Hall of Fame career, he also had a song penned in his name by arguably the greatest songwriter we're ever likely to hear.
4. Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline: Thanks Fever Pitch.
5. John Fogerty - Centerfield: Quite possibly the best non-Take Me Out to the Ballgame baseball song ever written. And to be perfectly honest, if that jackass coach had listened to Mr. Fogerty in the first place, their outfield situation could have been solved a lot earlier.
Honorable Mention: Glen Frey - The Heat is On: Apparently the Cardinals used to play this song after every win back in the '80s. I didn't know that, but it allows me to give a shout-out to my boy Ozzie Smith!!!
Let me know if you can think of any I've forgotten.