Tuesday, February 20, 2007

New Son Volt

As I've mentioned here before, Jay Farrar and Son Volt have a new album due out at the beginning of March. From the tracks available for listen right now, the album sounds fantastic! Okemah and the Melody of Riot was a fine record, but these tracks from The Search sound a little more rootsy and country, just how I like it. Stream two of the songs below (sorry, no mp3s).

Son Volt - Methamphetamine

Son Volt - Highways & Cigarettes


While we're at it, check out some of the songs that will be on Jason Isbell's (of the Drive-By Truckers fame) solo record that's been in the works for a while but we've yet to see released. Cruise on over to this myspace page for a sneak peak of three songs. Sounds great, especially Birmingham Tonight! Hopefully this album will see the light of day sometime this year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Son Volt sounds pretty good, but the Jason Isbell is really nice. You know I dig that blues sound - pretty different from DBTs. You can definitely see the different personalities in their solo stuff.

Anonymous said...

I was also pleasantly surprised with the Isbell songs. I prefer Patterson and Cooley to him and considering the stuff he contributed to Blessing and a Curse (which was pretty much junk), I am glad to hear these songs.

Then again, he recorded these songs a few years ago, so hopefully his Blessing stuff was an anomoly.

Anonymous said...

I really like that methamphetamine song. I heard any Son Volt since that single they had back in the 90s. Good stuff man.