Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fat Tuesday: The Music of Mardi Gras


Unfortunately, I wasn't in New Orleans last night, enjoying a rampant Fat Tuesday. The good news is that I was sitting in my apartment getting funky to some fantastic Mardi Gras tunes. I spent a little time trying to figure out just what music I'd want to hear in a Hurricane and plastic bead-filled night. You can imagine, this list is gonna be pretty heavy on the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, but there are others. I'm not calling this a Top 5, but if you have any thoughts, post it!

1. Widespread Panic w/Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Bayou Lena or I Wish
2. Rebirth Brass Band - I Feel Like Funkin It Up >> listen here
3. Maceo Parker - Shake Everything You Got
4. Taj Mahal - You're Gonna Need Somebody On Your Bond
5. Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Lil Liza Jane
6. The Wild Magnolias - New Suit
7. Paul Simon - That Was Your Mother

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of my favorite New Orleans things begins with The Meters. These dudes bring Nawlins funk with the best of them.

My fondest NOLA memories are associated with shows. One of my favorite Panic shows is from a Jazzfest 2001 and I also have a great Govt Mule show from either 2001 or 2002 with a smoking cover of Chameleon on there. I need to dig that shit out!

Anonymous said...

Damn, also can't forget DR John...another NOLA stalwart that deserves recognition.

Really, there are too many great artists from this town. It's great to see that something like Katrina did not kill the music spirit of NOLA.

We need to make Jazzfest a priority over the next few years!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is a fantastic idea. I can't believe I never made it down there, being as close as Nashville.

I don't know much about The Meters, but I understand they're pretty funky. There's tons of good live stuff out there. Rebirth Brass Band at Bonnaroo a couple years ago was pretty nice. I'm not so sure about Dr John...I haven't heard anything that impressed me too much.

Brandon said...

Hey you can't forget about Fess, the great Professor, Longhair. New Orleans' modern piano man and his signature "Mardi Gras in New Orleans" is a Mardi Gras staple. Also had a big influence on the good Dr.

Can't get into the Dr. J? Are you telling me you can't dig the theme to "Blossom?" Seriously, though, I hope you haven't listened to "Dr. John Plays Mac Rebennack, The Legendary Sessions." That is impressing the hell out of me as I type. I'm sure it will do the same for you. If you don't like this you may not be human.

Rebirth never ceases to amaze me. The best damn brass band in all of New Orleans. My favorite might be "Grazin In The Grass."

One more thing...we need to get our lazy asses down to Nawlins. Really there just aren't any excuses.

Anonymous said...

Nice mention of Longhair, Brando. I guess I've only really heard Dr. J at a Superjam at Bonnaroo and I was too out of it to make note. I'm undereducated in the learnings of the good doctor, so I appreciate the suggestions.